Review : "Enterprise Games" by Michael Hugos

In this book, Michael Hugos introduces "gamification" or the process to apply "Games mechanics" to business world.

I was very interested to learn more about gamification, and I was happy to find a book with a title so promising : "Using game mechanics to build a better business" but to tell it frankly, I was a little bit deceived by the content of this book.

The style is clear and easy to read, but past the introduction and despite several "real life" examples, I quickly got frustrated by several things :
_ The way the topic is presented is too "buzzword compliant" to me.
(You know when you have the feeling that the book, filled with many strange words, was intended to convince you of the almost magical efficiency of the presented topic...)
_ I was looking for concrete things to start exploring the subject : processes, mathematical algorithms, innovatives ways... And I didn't find much things useful to me.

The only useful information that I managed to get from the book was the repeated assertion that game like addiction can be induced by clear/simple and rapid feedback. My grief is that's it's about all I managed to get out of the 190 pages.

Now, I don't want to leave the feeling that's it is a bad book (It's really easy to read and filled with first class examples) but it's definitely *not* what *I* expected from the book.

So if you're looking for an easy introduction to gamification, this book could be great. But if you're willing to get more practical/usable knowledge (I'm not even talking about ways/recipes) I fear you might feel disappointed.




Commentaires

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

Change your Gogs admin password

What is the average salary for Perl programmers in 2020?

JavaScript for Perl lovers.